This page only regards the movement based factors of terrain types. For other uses, see Terrains
The amount of Movement points a unit spends to enter the hex is determined by summarizing the base Movement cost of the hex to it's Terrain Feature modifier. Some unit Abilities can reduce Movement cost over certain terrain types.
The base Movement cost of flat land in any Climate is 4 :
- +10 (Coastal) Mountains
- +2 Dense Vegetation
- +2 Dirt Cavern Walls (When Tunneling)
- +2 Wetlands
- +0 Frozen (Occurs only on Water)
- +0 Lave Pool (Occurs only on Volcanic)
- +0 Barrens
- +0 Fertile Plains
Roads will change the movement cost to 3 regardless of terrain type. They can be placed with a Builder for 5 Gold per hex. The Empire Upgrade Advanced Logistics reduces cost further to 2 . Roads follow further rules:
- Roads cannot be built on water, mountains, or cavern walls
- Building roads through dense vegetation costs an additional 5 Gold per hex, and transforms the terrain into Barrens
- The water is only 1 hex wide
- Basic Seafaring is researched
- The builder has 12 or more Movement
- Both ends of the bridge are clear of mountains, cavern walls, and impassable tiles
- The water hex is not blocked
- It is impossible to build a bridge right next to another bridge.
To construct the bridge, select the "Build a Road" option on the builder, and order it to move onto a water tile that meets the above conditions.
For movement, Bridges count as Roads.
Movement abilities are unit Abilities that in any way modify the way a unit moves.
The Basic Movement abilities are:
- Walking enables units to walk on dry land.
- Swimming enables units to move over water without embarking.
- Flying enables units to move over all hexes except cavern walls at the cost of 3 , traverse Mountains at the cost of 5 and to fly over obstacles such as city walls in combat. Flying units do not benefit from roads and ignore all attacks of opportunity save for those at the location of take-off in tactical combat.
- Floating enables units to move over all hexes except cavern walls at the cost of 4 , traverse Mountains at the cost of 6 and float over obstacles such as city walls in combat. Floating units still benefit from roads.
- Lava Walking enables units to walk over Lava Pools.
- Improved Mountaineering reduces Movement cost of (Coastal) Mountains by 12
(does not stack with Mountaineering)
- Mountaineering reduces Movement cost of (Coastal) Mountains by 8
- Wetland Walking reduces Movement cost of Wetlands by 2
- Forestry reduces Movement cost of Dense Vegetation by 2
- Cave Crawling reduces Movement cost of Subterranean by 1
- Barrens Running reduces Movement cost of Barrens by 1
- Plains Running reduces Movement cost of Fertile Plains by 1
- Arctic Walking reduces Movement cost of Arctic Terrain by 1
The following abilities have a special effect: