Resources are the ingredients you need to build up your empire.
Most resources are gained as income from your Cities. Cities have an inherent amount of Gold and Production they generate, and they will project Domain, allowing you to harvest resources from the Treasure Sites around your cities. Only explored, unoccupied treasure sites inside your domain will generate resources.
Domain represents the control your cities have over the lands around them, and will grow along with the City, allowing that city to harvest the resources from more treasure sites. Aside from growing by size, the domain radius will also grow from certain buildings.
Happiness will indirectly influence any resource gains from cities. If a city's Happiness grows over 200, there will be a bonus to all resource income, and should it fall under -200, there will be a penalty. The Happiness levels have the following effects:
|Happiness||Rebellious||Very Unhappy||Unhappy||Content||Happy||Very Happy||Cheerful|
|Range||-600 and less||-599 to -400||-399 to -200||-199 to 199||200 to 399||400 to 599||600 and more|
|Modifier||-50 %||-30 %||-15 %||-||+15 %||+30 %||+50 %|
The following Treasure Sites generate Happiness:
- + 30 Flowers of Solace
- + 50 Ancient Ruins (Also produces: 10 Knowledge)
- +100 Spring of Life (Also produces: 150 )
- +100 Inn
- +200 Hearts
- +150 Hall of the Forefathers (Also produces: 15Knowledge and 150 dead population)
Also, Happiness is influenced by the terrain where the city is build on. Certain races either like, dislike, or hate terrain, which can massively affect Happiness. See the Terrain page for the race-specific modifiers.
Halfling cities will have 50 bonus .
Aside from inherent income from cities, can be produced by having the following Treasure Sites in your domain:
- +10 Gold Mine
- +10 Lucky Cloverfield
- +20 Trading Post
- +30 Ziggurat
- +15 Lost City (Also produces: 15 Mana and 100 Population)
- + 5 Master Shipyard (Also produces: 5 Mana and 10 Production)
- +10 Sunken City (Also produces: 10 Mana, 10 Knowledge and 10 Production)
- + 5 Tomb (Also produces: 5 Mana, 5 Knowledge and 5 Production)
- +10 Sphinx Temple (Also produces 10 Mana and 10 knowledge)
Certain Class Empire Upgrades can also increase Gold income.
Tigrans cities generate 5 more.
Producing Merchandise in a city will increase that city's income by 50%.
- +10 Shrine
- +10 Temple
- +10 Grand Temple
- + 5 Some class Structures
Also, the following Treasure Sites increase Mana income:
- +10 Mana Node
- +10 Well of Souls
- +20 Crystal Tree
- +30 Forbidden Sanctum
- +15 Lost City (Also produces: 15 Gold and 100 Population)
- + 5 Master Shipyard (Also produces: 5 Gold and 10 Production)
- + 5 Corrupted Spring (Cast Corrupt the Source on a Spring of Life)
- +10 Sunken City (Also produces: 10 Gold, 10 Knowledge and 10 Production)
- + 5 Tomb (Also produces: 5 Gold, 5 Knowledge and 5 Production)
- +10 Sphinx Temple (Also produces 10 Gold and 10 Knowledge)
- +10 Castle of the Lich King (Also produces 20 Production, 10Knowledge and 200 Dead Population)
Draconian cities generate 3 more.
Unlike Gold however, Mana can not be accumulated in infinite amounts. There is a Mana Cap, which is the maximum amount of you can have at any given moment. Each player has a base Mana Cap of 500, and it can be increased in one of the following ways:
- Researching Casting Point Empire Upgrades. These are located in the top-left corner of your research book, and there are seven of them, each next one costing more Research than the previous one. Each of these increases your Mana Cap by 100.
- The following Buildings will increase by 100:
Aside from reserves, the amount of spell you can cast is also limited by your Casting Points. For your leader, both the amount of remaining Casting Points and the maximum are shown at your resource bar at the top of your screen. For your other heroes, the units window will shot these values.
Unlike other resources, your Casting Points will always refill completely when your turn ends - both for your Leader and all of your Heroes. The maximum amount of Casting Points for your leader can be raised in one of three ways:
- Researching Casting Point Empire Upgrades. These are located in the top-left corner of your research book, and there are seven of them, each next one costing more Research than the previous one. Each one gives your +10 Casting Points.
- Including Hearts in your city's Domain. Each of these gives +10 Casting Points.
- Building Grand Palaces in your cities. Each of these gives +10 Casting Points.
Knowledge is required to Research new technologies. There is no current amount of that you can spend; instead, all income is directly used for the current Research. Knowledge can be produced in cities with the following Buildings:
- +10 Laboratory
- +10 Observatory
- +10 Arcane Item Forge
- + 5 Some class Structures
Also, the following Treasure Sites increase Knowledge income:
- +10 Shrines to certain entities,
- +20 Vault of Knowledge
- +30 Wizard Tower Ruins
- +10 Ancient Ruins (Also produces: 50 Happiness)
- +10 Sunken City (Also produces: 10 Gold, 10 Mana and 10 Production)
- + 5 Tomb (Also produces: 5 Gold, 5 Mana and 5 Production)
- +10 Sphinx Temple (Also produces 10 Gold and 10 Mana)
- +15 Hall of the Forefathers (Also produces 150 Happiness and 150 Dead Population)
- +10 Castle of the Lich King (Also produces 20 Production, 10Mana and 200 Dead Population)
Certain Class Empire Upgrades will increase the amount of Knowledge you gain.
High Elf cities generate 3 more.
Production is the amount of work a city can do in a day. Both Units and Buildings will need a certain amount of to complete, equal to the total amount of and that the units or building costs. Like Knowledge, there is no storage of Production, and it is automatically devoted to the city's assigned production. The following Buildings will increase production:
The following Treasure Sites increase Production income:
- +10 Magma Forge
- +20 Flowrock Quarry
- +30 Dungeon
- + 5 Haste Berries
- +10 Sunken City (Also produces: 10 Gold, 10 Mana and 10 Knowledge)
- + 5 Tomb (Also produces: 5 Gold, 5 Mana and 5 Knowledge)
- +20 Castle of the Lich King (Also produces 10 Mana, 10 Knowledge and 200 Dead Population)
Human cities generate 10 more.
The current Population of a city determines its size; the Population shown next to a city's other daily income is the amount by which the city's Population grows per day. This can be increased by the following Buildings:
The following Treasure Sites increase Population income:
- +30 Bountiful Melons
- +100 Great Farm
- +100 Lost City (Also produces: 15 and 15 )
- +150 Spring of Life (Also produces: 100 )
The Expander specialization increases the gained by Great Farms and Springs of Life.
The following Treasure Sites increase Dead Population income:
- +100 Corrupted Farm (Cast Corrupt the Source on a Great Farm)
- +150 Corrupted Spring (Cast Corrupt the Source on a Spring of Life)
- +100 Well of Souls
- +150 Hall of the Forefathers (Also produces 15 Knowledge and 150 Happiness)
- +200 Castle of the Lich King (Also produces 20 Production, 10 Mana and 10 Knowledge)