|Warlords see safety in war. One warlord told me that a nation at peace was a nation breeding cowards to be enslaved. Warlords rule by the Law of the Sword, establishing leadership based upon annual bloody tournaments of battle. Many warlords are clever tacticians, while others are legendary warriors unto themselves. Though they tend to trust the power of their well-trained arms over supernatural powers, Warlords will sacrifice everything to protect their homelands. They train in strong armor, with an assortment of weapons, and view scars as badges of honor.|
- --Gifted Lords of the Third Age, by Ralinstone Pedant, Chronicler
The class buildings of the Warlord are, in order:
Great Beast Lair
- 200 , 300
- Generates +5 per turn
- Allows construction of:
All of the Warlord's unique units must be produced at cities with the correct class building. The following is the order in which the empire upgrades must be researched as well as the necessary buildings.
"Once there was a fool who fell in love with a Scout. All day he stared at her running. He loved her with his entire hearth. She was fast, and loved running more than she loved the fool. So even faster she left him, leaving behind nothing but air"
- --'The Scout and the Fool' by Theodin the Bard
Unit: Scout Origin: Warlord
Tier I: 35 32 7 7 Cost: 30 Upkeep: 4 /
'My brother, Rogan, was just a scrawny farm boy when he was pressed into service by a Warlord. He trained Rogan to be a Berserker. Before long, Rogan could chop down enemies with his two-handed axe, charge fearlessly into any conflict and overwhelm enemy combatants. He never again wore a shirt. His torso was covered with scars, mostly from arrows he failed to dodge. He fought with pure rage. Unfortunately, he never did learn to control his temper, and sadly, he didn't live long.'
- --Fuss about Family, by Leanne Finn, Keeper
Unit: Berserker Origin: Warlord Requires: Warlord's Command
Tier II: 57 32 11 9 Cost: 65 10 Upkeep: 8 /
Unique Racial Effects:
'Nippling County's swamp was filled with undisirables. Every winter when food got scarce, the swamp's denizens would leave the swamp to snack on the villagers. The people complained to their Warlord who decided, rather than ignore his people, he'd train them to fight back. He trained the whole village of Nippling to be Monster Hunters. The next winter when the hungry creatures shambled from the bogs, the villagers used their newly acquired skills in slaying monsters with their crossbows and great swords. Within a decade, the citizens cleared the swamps of all predators larger than a tadpole.'
- --Catch Them All, by Ashley Katsun, Shepherd Scholar
Unit: Monster Hunter Origin: Warlord Requires: Warlord's Command
Tier II: 50 32 12 10 Cost: 70 20 80 20 Upkeep: 8 /
- Melee Strike (12 )
- Shoot Light Crossbow (11 )
- Monster Slayer
- Animal Slayer
- Giant Slayer
- Fey Slayer
- Dragon Slayer
- Elemental Slayer
- 20% Protection
Experience Ranks: Unique Racial Effects:
- Draconians: Has Fire Spit instead of Shoot Light Crossbow
- Frostlings: Cost: 80 20 , Has Frost Weapons and Throw Harpoon (7 7 ) instead of Shoot Light Crossbow (11 )
- Goblins: Cost: 63 27 , Gains + 4 Ranged
- Dwarves: Cost: 88 22 , Has Shoot Heavy Crossbow (16 ) instead of Shoot Light Crossbow (11 )
- Halflings: Cost: 80 25 , Has Fireworks (10 5 ) instead of Shoot Light Crossbow (11 )
- Tigrans: Cost: 80 20 , Has Inflict Bleeding Wounds and Coup de Grace
- Orcs: Cost 80 , 20 , Has Sprint and Throw Javelin (11 ) instead of Shoot Light Crossbow (11 )
'Our last master forced us to learn to fight with a bow, hiding behind the city walls, waiting for a swordsman to skewer us. I was good enough with my bow to join a company of archers, but my heart has always been on my father's ranch and I didn't look forward to being skewered. Unfortunately, ranching isn't so profitable. When Romoro the Warlord inherited our city, I was able to train as a mounted archer. We now ride around the battlefield with the speed of cavalry, launching volley's while moving out of range of pikes and swords.'
- --Plight of the Common, by Orson Macdonner, Rancher
Unit: Mounted Archer Origin: Warlord Requires: Warlord's Command
Tier II: 50 36 10 9 Cost: 100 20 Upkeep: 8 /
- +1 Ranged +4
- +1 Ranged +4 +1
- +1 Ranged +4 +1
- +1 Ranged +8 +1 , Projectile Resistance
- Draconians: Melee Strike does 6 , 6 damage.
- Dwarves: Cost 105 20 , Armored
- Frostlings: Has -4 +5 Melee Damage
- Goblins: Cost 105 20 , Gains Forestry and Overwhelm
- Halflings: Cost 100 30 . Has starting +2
- High Elves: Cost 120 20 . Gains Shoot Longbow(10 ) instead of Shoot Bow(10 )
- Humans: Cost 110 20 . Gains Blessed Arrows
- Orcs: Gains Razor Projectiles
- Tigrans: Has Razor Projectiles on
'I gathered the most vigorous orcs of my forces and informed them they would be wearing armor, hefting a shield and wielding a pike. All three of these bits of news they scoffed at. After decapitating their chieftain they agreed to fight according to my way, with soldiers gathered as a wedge, shields tight together like a wall, crawling across the battlefield with pikes extended. I will admit only a skilled Warlord can create the discipline required to create a phalanx from his troops, but once mastered, the troops that engage in the technique will live a lot longer.'
- --The Economics of Ego, by Lady Loki
Unit: Phalanx Origin: Warlord Requires: Gladiator Pit
Tier III: 65 32 12 11 Cost: 140 30 Upkeep: 16 /
- Melee Strike (16 )
- Inflict Crippling Wounds
- Pike Square
- First Strike
Unique Racial Effects:
'Gerta was the Warlord's favorite concubine, a beastly woman, more ogre than person. Still, he lavished gifts on her, and in return she gave him many babies. I used to be jealous. Until I saw his adolescent children, and realized female seduction would never give the Warlord what he wanted. Gerta's children were huge destructive beings, more intent on walking through a door than in figuring out how to open it. Inhumanly strong, huge and they scarcely noticed when you beat them. His Warbreed were not offspring to be coddled, but born to destroy.'
- --The Warlord's Harem, by Scarlet Mallow, Concubine